In 1908, Duncan College Preparatory School for Boys was founded by Marvin T. Duncan and his wife, Pauline. Located at 401 25th Avenue South in Nashville, the school graduated 758 students before closing its doors in 1952 due to Mr. Duncan's failing health.
The alumni of Duncan donated the first library to Brentwood Academy, and the Duncan Memorial Library now houses a vast collection of Duncan memorabilia including class composites, yearbooks, and photographs. The two schools share the same motto, Vivat Veritas, Let Truth Prevail.
Mr. Duncan's dignified nature, upright spirit, wisdom, discipline, and fairness brought immediate respect from his students, some of whom still regard him as one of the strongest influence for good in their lives. Mr. Duncan was a graduate of the Webb School in Bell Buckle and a 1905 graduate of Vanderbilt Univeristy.
Duncan School was noted for Mr. Duncan's inspiring chapel lectures, a revered honor code, required spelling courses, "invitations" to Saturday School, surprise holidays, and "trapping," a class seating order that enabled those with correct answers to move to the front of the class.
Athletics was an important part of school life. In spite of having no gym, track, or athletic field, the Duncan Longhorns fielded competitive teams in the major sports.
Many leading citizens of the Nashville community received their education at Duncan and were admitted to colleges without having to take entrance examinations due to the fine reputation of Duncan School.
In the fall of 1999, a historical plaque was placed at the site of the school, and dedication ceremonies honored Mr. and Mrs. Duncan, the Duncan faculty, and Duncan alumni. The location is now occupied by Vanderbilt Memorial Gymnasium.
Brentwood Academy maintains a close relationship with Duncan alumni by providing a venue for regular reunions and by actively presenting the many core values both schools hold dear. The Duncan Memorial Library Endowment Fund was established to ensure the future of the library and the Duncan Memorial Collection. Recent improvements to the library were a gift from this endowment fund.